The study tests the safety and efficacy of axitinib in patients who have the hematologic
disease of Acute Myeloid Leukemia or Myelodysplastic Syndrome. The study tests patients who
have poor prognosis before entering the study.
- Poor prognosis AML or MDS
- Histological confirmation of diagnosis
- White blood cell count less than or equal to 30,000/mm3
- Adequate hepatic and renal function documented within 14 days prior to registration
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0, 1, or 2
- No evidence of preexisting uncontrolled hypertension
- Not a suitable candidate for chemotherapy
- No prior systemic chemotherapy treatment for AML or MDS or treatment with an
- Patients must not have exclusion criteria.
- Candidate for chemotherapy
- Patients with AML M3 (acute promyelocytic leukemia)
- Conditions that might confound the evaluation of safety or efficacy or increase