The purpose of this study is to determine the feasibility and effectiveness of a
multimodality Vedic Medicine treatment protocol for the management of newly diagnosed type 2
Maharishi Vedic Medicine (MVM) represents a synthesis of Vedic sciences, including
Ayur-Veda, into a single, comprehensive, natural approach to health care. The objectives of
this phase II pilot trial are to determine the feasibility, acceptability, and safety of
implementing a multi-modality MVM intervention for newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics, and to
measure the impact of such a protocol on overall glycemic control.
- Kaiser Permanente members
- Newly diagnosed type 2 Diabetes
- Baseline glycosylated hemoglobin level of 6.0-7.9.
- Pregnancy or nursing mother
- Currently taking warfarin
- Diagnosis of psychotic disorder or recent hospitalization for depression
- Unable to comply with or attend treatment sessions