The goal of this study is to determine whether a short treatment with lipoic acid, an
antioxidant used in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy, improves blood vessel reactivity
and decreases oxidant stress in persons with elevated blood cholesterol.
- Lipid criteria for inclusion are a plasma LDL between 160 and 190 mg/dl (total
cholesterol usually 240-285 mg/dl)
- Less than 2 coronary risk factors, and already on a cholesterol-lowering diet.
- Overt or clinical atherosclerosis
- Currently taking cholesterol-lowering medication.
- Subjects with other lipid disorders
- Subjects taking supplemental lipoic acid, vitamin C, or vitamin E.