The purpose of this study is to compare the effectiveness and safety of atomoxetine in the
treatment of adolescents with coexisting alcohol or substance use disorders and Attention
Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Adolescents, ages 13-18
- Meets criteria for alcohol and/or substance use disorder and attention deficit
- Adolescents who are pregnant.
- Have a history of seizure disorder, other neurological or medical disorder for which
medication treatment may present a considerable risk.
- History of pervasive development disorder, schizophrenia or other psychotic
disorders, organic mental disorders or eating disorders.
- Currently on other psychotropic medications from which discontinuation would present
a significant risk.
- A current episode of major depressive disorder or a diagnosis of bipolar disorder.
- Diagnosis of dependence for any substance other than marijuana.
- Adolescents with a full-scale IQ below 80.