Research participants will be asked to undergo complete medical history, physical
examination and blood tests. The purpose of these tests is to determine whether persons are
predisposed to develop diabetes mellitus after kidney transplantation and also to make an
early diagnosis if a patient develops diabetes mellitus. Medical information collected as
part of the standard transplant evaluation and posttransplant medical care may be
incorporated into this study. It is important to realize that research subjects will not be
given an experimental drug as part of this study.
After kidney transplantation, research subjects will be followed in the posttransplant
clinic visits. The study will last up to 6 months. During this time the subjects may be
asked to participate in clinical assessment visits (medical history and physical
examination), and also during the third or fourth month after transplant will be asked to do
a repeat glucose tolerance test.
- Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) <126mg/dl.
- No history of diabetes mellitus or treatment with oral antidiabetic agent or insulin.
- ESRD or chronic renal failure with CrCl <= 20cc/min per 1.73m2.
- Waiting list registration for cadaveric or set date for living donor renal
- Willingness and ability to understand and give informed consent.