South San Francisco,
The purpose of this study is to test the effectiveness of SU5416 in patients with
AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma (KS).
Patients are given SU5416 via twice-weekly intravenous infusions in 4-week treatment cycles.
Any patient who has not experienced unacceptable toxicity and who is deemed to be responding
to the study drug (no evidence of disease progression) is permitted to continue receiving
SU5416 in 4-week treatment cycles (up to a maximum of 1 year of therapy) until that patient
experiences either unacceptable toxicity or tumor progression, as defined in the protocol.
Patients may be eligible for this study if they:
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Have KS.
- Have taken paclitaxel, DaunoXome, or Doxil for KS and they have either not gotten
better or could not tolerate treatment therapy.
- Have 1 of the following symptoms for KS: 5 lesions (sores), generalized KS-related
edema (swelling) without sores, or KS-related edema of the arms and legs.
- Agree to use an effective method of birth control during the study.
Patients will not be eligible for this study if they:
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Are allergic to Cremophor.