I. Determine the effect of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation on treatment
refractory auditory hallucinations of patients with schizophrenia.
PROTOCOL OUTLINE: This is a randomized, double blind study. Patients are randomized to one
of two treatment arms.
Group I: Patients receive 9 sessions of active transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS)
which consists of 8 minutes of rTMS during session 1, 12 minutes duration during session 2,
and 16 minutes duration during sessions 3-9. The total duration of stimulation is 132
minutes. Each session was given on a separate day and in general each session occurred on
consecutive days with the exception of weekends.
Group II: Patients receive 9 sessions of sham stimulation, which consists of 8 minutes of
sham stimulation during session 1, 12 minutes duration sham stimulation during session 2,
and 16 minutes duration sham stimulation during sessions 3-9. The total duration of sham
stimulation is 132 minutes. Each session was given conducted on a separate day and in
general each session occured on consecutive days with the exception of weekends.
This study provided pilot data supplying the basis for our current study - NCT00308997 --
see our website for details
PROTOCOL ENTRY CRITERIA:
- Diagnosis of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder based on DSM-IV version of
- Auditory hallucinations of spoken speech occurring at least 5 times per day where
subject able to discern verbal content
- At least 4 weeks on stable antipsychotic medication
- history of seizure (unless due to drug withdrawal or medication that is no longer
- history of epilepsy in first degree relatives
- estimated IQ less than 80
- unable to provide informed consent
- significant unstable medical condition
- current treatment with clozapine or bupropion
- cochlear implants or other metal in the head (surgical, etc.)
- history of cardiac arrhythmia
- cardiac pacemaker
- active drug or alcohol abuse within prior 6 weeks