The purpose of this study is to see if ABT-378/ritonavir plus efavirenz is safe and
effective in lowering the amount of HIV in the blood of patients who have been treated with
more than 1 protease inhibitor (PI).
All patients take ABT-378/ritonavir and efavirenz; there are no placebos in this study.
Patients take study medications for 48 weeks, during which time there will be 15 study
visits. There is a possibility of a study extension after 48 weeks.
Patients may be eligible for this study if they:
- Are HIV-positive.
- Have a viral load (level of HIV in the blood) of at least 1,000 copies/ml.
- Have been receiving stable (no changes) anti-HIV treatment that includes at least 1
PI for at least 8 weeks prior to study entry.
- Have received more than 1 PI for at least 12 weeks each at some time in the past.
Patients will not be eligible for this study if they:
- Have had any active opportunistic (AIDS-related) infections within the past 30 days.
- Have ever received nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs), such as
delavirdine, nevirapine, or efavirenz.
- Have received certain medications.
- Are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Abuse alcohol or drugs.