The purpose of this study is to see if it is safe and effective to give one of three
different triple-drug combinations to HIV-infected patients who have never been treated with
In this open-label, strategic study patients are evaluated at Weeks 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 to
Week 48 after being treated on one of the following regimens:
Stavudine (d4T) + Didanosine (ddI) + Lamivudine (3TC) or d4T + ddI + Indinavir or d4T + ddI
Patients must have:
- Diagnosed asymptomatic HIV infection.
- HIV-1 RNA greater than 500 copies/ml.
- CD4+ T-cell count greater than 200/mm3.
- Never received antiretroviral therapy.
Severe non-HIV-related disease.
Patients with the following prior conditions are excluded:
History of neuropathy.
- Investigational drug within 1 month prior to study.
- Immunomodulatory drug within 1 month prior to study.
- Radiation therapy within past month.
- Chemotherapy within past month.