The purpose of this study is to see if it is safe and effective to give delavirdine (DLV) in
combination with two or three other drugs to HIV-infected patients. The drugs to be used in
combination with DLV are zidovudine (ZDV), indinavir (IDV), and lamivudine (3TC).
In this open-label pilot study, patients are randomized to 1of the following 4 arms for 24
Arm 1 (40 patients): DLV plus ZDV plus IDV. Arm 2 (40 patients): DLV plus IDV plus 3TC*. Arm
3 (40 patients): DLV plus ZDV plus IDV plus 3TC. Arm 4 (40 patients): ZDV plus IDV plus 3TC.
- Dose determined by body weight. Patients may opt to continue on study for 24 additional
weeks at the discretion of the investigator.
Less than 1 month prior treatment with zidovudine.
- Prior indinavir.
- Prior lamivudine.
- Prior protease inhibitors.
- Prior non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors.
- 1 month or more prior zidovudine.
1. HIV-1 positive.
- CD4 coun tis above 50.
- HIV-1 RNA levels greater than 20,000.