To provide oral sorivudine ( BV-araU ) to pediatric HIV-infected patients with
varicella-zoster viral disease who have failed or are intolerant of alternative therapy.
Any physician qualified to treat pediatric AIDS patients may enroll patients in this study.
Patients must have:
- HIV infection.
- Cutaneous, visceral, or ocular varicella-zoster viral infection.
- Refractory or intolerant to acyclovir or foscarnet therapy.
- Consent of parent or guardian.
Patients with the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Inability to take oral capsules or tolerate liquids.
- 5-flucytosine, 5-fluorouracil, high-dose prednisone, or probenecid.
Patients with the following prior condition are excluded:
History of immediate hypersensitivity to nucleoside analogues.
- 5-flucytosine, 5-fluorouracil, high-dose prednisone, or probenecid within 4 weeks
prior to study entry.
- Prior acyclovir or foscarnet.