To characterize the safety profile of MDL 28574A following both acute and subchronic dosing
in HIV-positive patients. To determine the MTD of both acute and subchronic doses of this
drug when administered as oral solution. To determine the pharmacokinetic profile of MDL
28574A and castanospermine (from which MDL 28574A is derived) following both acute and
In Part A of the study, patients receive a single oral dose of MDL 28574A on day 1 and are
followed through day 7. In Part B, patients receive single daily doses of the drug on days 1
through 14 and are followed through day 21.
Patients must have:
- HIV infection.
- CD4 count >= 500 cells/mm3.
- No evidence of AIDS.
- No antiretroviral therapy within 30 days prior to study entry.
- Presence of lymphadenopathy in two or more extrainguinal sites, at least 1 cm in
diameter for 3 or more months, is permitted.
Patients with the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Clinically significant abnormalities on routine hematology (other than CD4 count and
Western blot), serum chemistry, and urinalysis.
- Abnormal EKG.
- Positive stool guaiac.
- Abnormal medical history or physical exam including temperature, heart rate, and
- Clinically significant organ abnormality or disease.
- Positive urine drug screen for illicit drugs.
- Inability to comply with study procedures.
- Routine treatment with nonprescription medications.
- Treatment with other medications except with approval of the investigator.
Patients with the following prior conditions are excluded:
- Prior participation in this trial.
- Serious physical or mental illness within 1 year prior to study entry that would
confound interpretation of data.
- Antiretroviral therapy within 30 days prior to study entry.
- Known medications that alter renal, hepatic, or hematologic/immunologic function
(such as barbiturates, phenothiazines, cimetidine, and immunomodulators) within 14
days prior to study entry.
- Routine treatment with nonprescription medications within 3 days prior to study
History of alcohol or drug abuse within the past year.