To evaluate tolerance, toxicity, and preliminary evidence of antitumor efficacy of
intralesionally administered tumor necrosis factor (TNF) and to define a maximum tolerated
dose (MTD) for single intralesional injections. In addition, to assess the effects of TNF
injections on Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) lesions as measured by P-32 magnetic resonance
Patients must have:
- Biopsy-proven Kaposi's sarcoma (KS) with multiple cutaneous lesions.
- Minimum life expectancy of 3 months.
Patients with the following conditions or symptoms are excluded:
- Clinically significant cardiac disease.
- Known hemorrhagic diathesis or active bleeding disorder.
- Clinically apparent vascular disease.
- Known lipoprotein disorders.
- History of seizure disorder or central nervous system (CNS) metastasis.
- Additional malignancy.
- Cardiac agents.
- Thrombolytic agents.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Patients with the following are excluded:
- Additional malignancies or other conditions listed in Patient Exclusion Co-Existing
Excluded within 4 weeks of study entry: