The purpose of this study is to test the effectiveness of Combivir plus abacavir plus 141W94
in patients who previously have used anti-HIV drugs.
In this open-label study antiretroviral-experienced patients receive Combivir (3TC/AZT
tablet) plus 1592U89 (abacavir) and 141W94 twice daily for 48 weeks.
Patients must have:
- CD4 count greater than 50 cells/mm3.
- HIV RNA less than 50,000 copies/ml.
- No active AIDS (excluding CD4 count less than 200 cells/mm3).
- Ability to comply with dosing schedule and protocol evaluations.
AZT or non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs).
Patients with any of the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Active AIDS (not excluding CD4 count less than 200).
- Malabsorption syndrome affecting drug absorption.
- Serious medical condition that would compromise safety of the patient.
- AZT or NNRTIs.
- More than 1 week treatment with any protease inhibitor.
- Enrollment in any other investigational drug protocol.
Patients with the following prior conditions are excluded:
History of clinically relevant pancreatitis or hepatitis within the past 6 months.
Antiretroviral therapy with either single or double reverse transcriptase inhibitors.