The purpose of this study is to compare 2 combination drug therapies in HIV-infected
patients who have never received anti-HIV treatment.
In this open-label study antiretroviral-naive patients are randomized to one of two drug
Arm I: 141W94 (amprenavir), 1592U89 (abacavir), and Combivir (3TC/AZT tablet). Arm II:
Nelfinavir and Combivir.
Patients must have:
- CD4 count > 50.
- HIV RNA > 5,000.
- No active AIDS (excluding CD4 count < 200).
- Ability to comply with dosing schedule and protocol evaluations.
- 3TC or any protease inhibitor, if < 1 week of therapy.
- Other nucleoside analogs, if < 4 weeks of therapy.
Patients with any of the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Active AIDS (not including CD4 count < 200).
- Malabsorption syndrome affecting drug absorption.
Enrollment in any other investigational drug protocol.
Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors.