To provide oral ganciclovir to patients who require maintenance for control of
cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis, but who lack patent permanent central venous access for
long-term administration of intravenous drugs.
Patients receive oral ganciclovir as maintenance. Patients enrolled at time of closure of
enrollment will receive 2 months of study drug and undergo follow-up.
Patients must have:
- Stable CMV retinitis.
- Treatment with IV ganciclovir or IV foscarnet for at least 18 of the past 21 days.
- No permanent central IV catheter at present.
- Had a permanent central IV catheter removed two or more times within the past 6
months due to catheter infection or thrombosis.
- Consent of guardian if less than legal age of consent.
Patients with the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Require continuation of concomitant medications precluded by this protocol.
- Intravitreal anti-CMV treatment.
- Any other concomitant medications precluded by the protocol.
Patients with the following prior condition are excluded:
History of hypersensitivity to acyclovir or ganciclovir.