To provide trimetrexate glucuronate to immunosuppressed patients with Pneumocystis carinii
pneumonia (PCP) for whom this investigational compound could provide significant medical
Patients receive intravenous infusions of trimetrexate glucuronate and leucovorin for 21
days. Leucovorin is continued for 3 additional days after discontinuation of trimetrexate
- Antiretroviral therapy (at the discretion of the treating physician and/or medical
Patients must have:
- Presumptive or definitive diagnosis of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP).
- HIV positivity or be otherwise immunosuppressed.
- Demonstrated intolerance and/or resistance to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole during
the course of therapy for the current episode and not candidates for parenteral
pentamidine, OR a documented history of such intolerance during a prior episode.
- Consent of parent or guardian if less than 18 years of age.
- In general, patients who meet the eligibility criteria for other U.S.
Bioscience-sponsored clinical trials for trimetrexate would not be eligible for this
Compassionate Use protocol.
Patients with the following prior conditions are excluded:
History of Type I hypersensitivity (i.e., urticaria, angioedema, or anaphylaxis),
exfoliative dermatitis, or other life-threatening reactions to trimetrexate.