Research Triangle Park,
To facilitate provision of atovaquone (566C80) to patients who have severe Pneumocystis
carinii pneumonia (PCP) and are intolerant and/or unresponsive to trimethoprim /
sulfamethoxazole ( TMX / SMX ); to monitor serious adverse events attributable to 566C80.
Patients must have the following:
- Clinical diagnosis of acute severe Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP).
- Dose-limiting intolerance to TMP / SMX and parenteral pentamidine.
- Willingness and ability to give informed consent.
- Patients with a history of intolerance to 566C80. Patients with the following prior
conditions are excluded: History of serious dose-limiting adverse experience during
previous 566C80 therapy, thought to be attributable to the drug.
- Trimethoprim / sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX); pentamidine.