This study is a double-blind, placebo-controlled outpatient trial to improve, through the
addition of sertraline (Zoloft), the abstinence and relapse rates in alcohol- dependent
individuals currently taking naltrexone (Revia).
- Meets the criteria for alcohol dependence.
- Abstinent from alcohol for a period of at least 5 days and not greater than 30 days.
- Able to read English and complete study evaluations.
- A stable residence and a telephone to ensure that subjects can be located during the
- Currently meets criteria for substance abuse or dependence with the exception of
- Current use of disulfiram (Antabuse) or a MAO Inhibitor.
- Psychotic or otherwise severely psychiatrically disabled (i.e., depressed, suicidal,
- Major depression at the time of assessment.
- Previous treatment with naltrexone (Revia) for alcohol dependence.
- Significant underlying medical conditions such as cerebral, renal, thyroid, or
- Abstinent longer than 30 days prior to admission to program.
- Hepatocellular disease or elevated bilirubin levels.
- Females who are pregnant, nursing, or not using a reliable method of birth control.